Friday, January 18, 2008

An introduction...

Since I am embarking on this new blog adventure, I thought I would start by introducing myself. Granted, if you are actually reading this, you probably already know me, but maybe there are a few things you don't know. Like:

My full name is Amy Michelle Lahey.

I am a hematology/oncology nurse, which means that I take care of kids with cancer and blood disorders. It means that I take care of really sick children, and that I probably will know more children that die this year than you do. It is sometimes a dirty, smelly job. Sometimes, it breaks my heart and makes me long for the day when all suffering will end. Most of the time though, it is an incredibly amazing job. I get to be a part of the lives of the bravest, most amazing kids ever! I get to hold precious babies. I get to wear pajamas to work (or the equivalent of pajamas anyways). Sometimes playing Candyland or making animals out of PlayDoh is part of my job. It's hard to beat that!

My favorite flavor of ice cream is mint chocolate chip. The peppermint chocolate chip kind from Jake's is even better.

I love peppermint mocha creamer and mint M&M's, and I think it is tragic that someone decided that these things should only be sold at Christmas.

I have the most amazing family ever! I love that my parents have been married for over 30 years. My older sister Carla is a teacher, takes dance class, and recently got a part in a community theater play. I love that she often displays her dance moves at random times in the family room of my parents house for our entertainment. My younger sister Pam is a dietitian, loves children, a great cook, and is soon to be married! I love that she sings at the top of her lungs even when she doesn't know the words to the song. I also love the way that she loves people so well. I also have a fat kitty named Bella, who is a boy even though his name might suggest otherwise. Right now he is on an extended kitty vacation at my parent's house where he can open all the doors by himself and likes to sleep on top of the copy machine.

I speak Spanish.

I make really good chocolate chip cookies.

My favorite book is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. If you are a female, you must read it! If you are a male, it wouldn't hurt.

I love all things Peruvian. OK, maybe not ALL things, but I do love the beauty of the country, the people, most of the food, speaking the language, and the list goes on...

I own my own house. I share it with two amazing roommates.

I don't like shoes.

I fractured a rib once.

The only car accident I have ever had involved a wild turkey and my windshield. The turkey won. Or maybe not, since I am not sure he lived through it. But then, neither did my windshield.

I want to adopt a child one day.

I like to knit, but I only knit scarves. I don't like to wear scarves.


More to come...







2 comments:

Melissa said...

Why we are friends (albeit ones who haven't seen much of each other since college):

I too love mint chocolate chip ice cream. Ben & Jerry's makes this incredible Mint Chocolate Cookie that is basically heaven on earth.

There is Peppermint Mocha creamer in my fridge now. I will be in withdrawal when it runs out and can't be replaced.

I think Redeeming Love is an amazing book--definitely one of my favs.

I have a fat cat named Jack. As I recall, we got Jack and Bella around the same times...

I also hate shoes--wearing them anyway. I do enjoy buying them...

I hope to adopt a child (or two) one day...

I'm so glad you have this blog so that I can blog-stalk you now! ;)
Mel

Caroline said...

Welcome to blogging! Yes, it is sad that this is how we keep up with each other in this generation. But, I guess that isn't necessarily a bad thing - if it wasn't for the blog, I may never have known that you don't like to wear scarves! And I also think it is neat that we share a passion for mint m&ms (have you ever substituted them for the chocolate chips in chocolate chip cookies?? Divine!) and mint chocolate chip ice-cream. Have you ever had ben and jerry's mint oreo icecream? mmmm...