Friday, January 18, 2008

the night shift life

I woke up 5 minutes before my alarm today. That doesn't happen very often. But then, my sun pouring through my window probably helped. It was 12:40 after all. Yes, 12:40 pm. And yes, my alarm was set for 12:45 pm. You might be thinking to yourself, "Why does she bother to set an alarm to wake her up halfway through the day?" Who knows. But, at 4:45 am when I was going to bed, 8 hours of sleep sounded good to me.

This is my night shift life. Since I was up for 24 hours straight while working Wednesday night, I slept from 10 am to 6 pm on Thursday. Since I woke up at 6 pm, I was not tired until 445 am. Since I did not go to sleep until 445 am, I did not want to get up until 1240 pm. And the cycle continues. The cycle will continue through the weekend, since I am working tonight and tomorrow night. Hopefully, the cycle will somehow find its way to a screeching halt on Sunday. That's when my night shift lifestyle is supposed to end so that I can get ready for day shifts next week. Lucky for me, I have until Thursday to really get that figured out.

And, I am still trying to figure out why I am tired all the time...

1 comment:

Jen said...

hey, nice blog!!

man, that is rough. it's not so bad when you can get on that schedule and stay on it, but when you have to switch back and forth... ugh!! i feel completely out of whack after working our 30 hour shifts. and even now, i'm working in the ER from 12 pm to 12 am and it sure messes up my clock. i'll tell you what- dark curtains are key!! and quiet neighbors. good luck with it though! next time you are up in g'ville, let me know. it would be fun to catch up!