Thursday, March 4, 2010

Some Days are Hard

It's true. Some days are hard. Everyone has tough days. When you work with kids with cancer, though, hard days are especially...well, hard. Today was one of those days.

Today, I watched an child suffer more than she should ever have to. It was a struggle for her to sit up, to talk, to cough, to breathe, even to move. I wanted so badly to be able to make her feel better. I wanted so badly for all of this pain that she is walking through to go away so that she can go back to the life where she just gets to be a kid. I wanted to keep her well enough to be able to stay in her room on our floor instead of having to go back to the ICU, where all the faces are unfamiliar and she is scared.

But, sometimes we don't get what we want. I didn't get any of those things today. Instead, I shed some tears for this beautiful girl, and then pulled myself together and sent her to the ICU, praying that God will ease her suffering and heal her body on this Earth.

Like I said, some days are hard.

1 comment:

A.J. said...

I am praying with you...for healing HERE on EARTH! I admire you and what you do very much...it's incredible!