Sunday, July 19, 2009

Change

Change is a funny thing. At least that's what people say. Some people love change, and others hate it. I think that I consider myself somewhere in the middle on this continuum. I try to be flexible and adaptable when changes come, but I also find comfort in my familiar little routines.

I made a small change in my life this weekend. You will probably laugh that I just called it a change in my life at all. What did I do, you ask? Well, while I was cleaning my kitchen in this fit of productivity, I decided to move the trashcan from its old home under the sink to a new home in the bottom of the pantry. I bought a new trashcan in the process (which was easier said than done, but that's another story...) Insignificant, right? I mean, who cares where the trashcan is, as long as it's there somewhere?? Well, apparently I care. Since I moved it on Friday, I have opened the cabinet under the sink to throw something away no less than 50 times. Seriously. It's getting ridiculous. I guess that says something about how patterns get ingrained in my head. I probably should have taken a hint from the fact that I still look for the silverware in the drawer where it used to be, even though I moved it months ago. Hopefully it doesn't take me that long to figure out where the trashcan is! If it does, the trash may just end up back where it started...

Seriously, though, it is funny how even little changes affect our lives and our routine. I am in the process of taking some steps forward with plans for big changes in my life. While I am not ready to divulge those plans to the world quite yet, I am wondering how I am going to handle such big changes in my life if it all works out. Let's just hope that it goes better than my ability to find the trashcan!

No comments: